Assistant Professor, Trumpet
DMA University of Rochester-Eastman School of Music
MM University of Miami-Frost School of Music
BM Virginia Tech
Dr. J. Peyden Shelton has gained a rapidly growing reputation as a dynamic performer and educator throughout the United States, Brazil, and Asia. He has been featured as a soloist with various ensembles including the Salt Lake Symphony, Reston Symphony Orchestra, Winds of the Blue Ridge, and University of North Texas Chamber Ensemble. In 2014, Dr. Shelton was awarded first place in the Graduate Soloist Division of the National Trumpet Competition. Since that time, he has presented solo performances and guest artist residencies at numerous universities and has been a featured artist at an assortment of music festivals including the Virginia Tech Trumpet Festival, the Fredericksburg Brass Institute, and the Association of Brazilian Trumpeters (ABT) International Conference. As a chamber and ensemble musician, he has performed with various nationally and internationally recognized groups including the Utah Symphony Orchestra, Rochester Philharmonic, Washington Chamber Orchestra, Symphony One, and the New World Symphony under the direction of Michael Tilson Thomas and Esa-Pekka Salonen. In 2019, he became the newest member of the internationally renowned Mirari Brass Quintet (miraribrass.com). Dr. Shelton is also an active performer in various trumpet ensembles including Ascent (@ascentensemble) and the Nova Trumpet Collective (@novatrumpets). Each ensemble is focused on expanded the inclusivity in repertoire for a traditional chamber ensembles. He is also one of the founding members of Fifth Bridge (fifthbridge.org), an electro-acoustic trumpet ensemble that has collaborated with numerous musicians and organizations such as John Hollenbeck, David Sampson, Christopher Stark, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (N.A.S.A.), Harvard Center for Astrophysics, and the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. This ensemble aims to create and elevate the unexplored possibilities of live digitally amplified and processed acoustic performances.
As an educator, Dr. Shelton currently serves as the Assistant Professor of Trumpet at the University of Utah School of Music. Before joining the University of Utah, he served on the faculties at both the University of Rochester and Cornell University as a Lecturer of Trumpet. Dr. Shelton has presented clinics and masterclasses at universities and conferences all over the United States including the International Trumpet Guild Conference, The Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic, ABT International Festival, and the International Horn Symposium. His articles have been featured in the International Trumpet Guild Journal, and was a featured presenter at the 2019 ITG Conference in Miami, FL. He also serves on numerous committees with ITG including the ITG Journal’s Music Review Team, the Book Review Team, CD Committee, Digital Conference Committee, and as the Chair of the Orchestral Excerpt Competition. His current research, The Trumpet Repertoire Project, creates and promotes new works that encourage the development of technical and music expression that reflects the compositional voices of young contemporary American composers.
Dr. Shelton holds a Doctorate of Musical Arts from the Eastman School of Music, having studied with Professor James Thompson and Douglas Prosser. He also holds degrees from both the University of Miami’s Frost School of Music and Virginia Tech studying under Craig Morris and Dr. John Adler. Dr. Shelton can be heard on Summit Records, SNOtone Records, Mark Records, as well as in the 4th edition of the Samuel Adler Orchestration Textbook by W.W. Norton & Company.
Dr. J. Peyden Shelton is a Yamaha Performing Artist and Clinician.
- 2022 - Commissioned, Premiering, and recording Frank Ticheli’s “Concert for Trumpet and Wind Ensemble” with the University of Utah Wind Ensemble (April, 2022)
- 2021 - Presented clinic at Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic entitled, “ Connecting with your Voice: The Enhancement of Brass Performance through Vocal Techniques.”
- 2021 - Utah Symphony Orchestra “Forever Mighty” Tour - contracted substitute Assistant Trumpet
- 2021 - Recorded “College Fight Songs” for ESPN
- 2021 - Presented solo recital premiere of Bryce Owen “Rumination” for trumpet and piano at the 2021 International Trumpet Guild Conference
- 2020 - Guest Artist for the Association for Brazilian Trumpeters International Festival
- 2019 - Fifth Bridge premiere performance and collaboration with N.A.S.A, Harvard Center for Astrophysics, and the Smithsonian Institute entitled “Colossal Sound: Big Date to Big Art 1”
- 2019 - Solo Recital Performance at Univeristy of Wisconsin - Madison
- 2019 - Featured clinic presentation entitled, “Navigating the Unexpected Side-Effects of Weight Loss” at the International Trumpet Guild Conference.
- 2018 - Solo Performance at University of North Texas with UNT Chamber Winds
- 2022 - Artist in Residencies at University of Colorado-Boulder and University of Northern Colorado
- 2021 - Guest Masterclasses at Oklahoma State University, University of Southern Mississippi, Oakland University, Longy School of Music, Shenandoah Conservatory, University of Nevada-Reno, and Arkansas State University.
- 2021 - University of Utah Trumpet Ensemble advanced to Semi-Final round of National Trumpet Competition (digital competition).
- 2021 - Nominated for College of Fine Arts “Excellence in Teaching” Award
- 2020 - Guest Masterclass at West Virginia University
- 2019 - Guest Masterclasses at Boise State University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Christopher Newport University
- 2019 - University of Utah Trumpet Ensemble advanced to Semi-Final round of National Trumpet Competition (Lexington, KY)
- 2019 - Featured clinician at the Yamaha “Music for All” Western Regional Concert Band Festival
- 2018 - Artist in Residence at the University of North Texas, Newberry College, and The College of New Jersey.
- 2017 - Artist in Residence at University of Nevada - Las Vegas, Virginia Tech, and Utah State University
- 2022 - Fine Arts representative on General Education Curriculum Committee
- 2022 - Music Minor Advisor (Winds/Brass/Strings/Percussion)
- 2022 - International Trumpet Guild CD Committee Member
- 2022 - Director of Bands Search Committee Member
- 2021 - International Trumpet Guild Orchestral Excerpt Competition Chair
- 2021 - Fine Arts representative on Academic Senate
- 2020 - Music representative on College of Fine Arts Faculty Council Committee
- 2020 - College of Fine Arts “Studio Magazine” committee
- 2019 - Strategic Planning Committee - Student Success
- 2019 - Adjudicator for National Trumpet Competition (Lexington, KY)