Renovations to David P. Gardner Hall, were completed in 2000, adding the Dumke Recital Hall, the McKay Music Library as well as improvements to the classrooms and the Thompson Chamber Music Hall. As part of this improvement project a new structure housing the Libby Gardner Concert Hall, new choral and instrumental rehearsals halls, practice rooms and additional studios was also added.
Libby Gardner Concert Hall contains 680 seats plus choir seating for 200 performers. The stage can accommodate over 80 musicians. A matched pair of Hamburg Steinway D concert grand pianos and the Lively-Fulcher pipe organ are on stage.
The Thompson Chamber Music Hall has flexible seating for up to 300 guests. The hall provides an elegant setting for concerts, banquets ore receptions. Round or banquet tables and banquet chairs are available for various seating arrangements.
The Dumke Recital Hall has 114 seats, a Hamburg Steinway B grand piano, a Steinway B piano and a harpsichord. The hall is a gift of the Katherine W. and Ezekiel R. Dumke Foundation.
A gift from the family of Ida Smith Clark, this elegantly decorated room is adjacent to the Dumke Recital Hall and serves that facility as the artist's Green Room.
Established in 2001, McKay Music Library serves the students, faculty, and community of the University of Utah.The Library is named for Emma Ray Riggs McKay (1877-1970), a music student and graduate of The University of Utah. The Library is a component of the School of Music situated in Gardner Hall. The Library is honored to house the Maurice Abravanel Studio.
Kingsbury Hall opened its doors on May 22, 1930. Since then, many names such as Maude Adams, Harry Belafonte, Vincent Price, Carol Channing, Keene Curtis, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Bill Cosby, amongst others, have appeared on the Kingsbury stage. Local performing arts companies such as the Utah Symphony Utah Opera, Ririe Woodbury, Ballet West and Repertory Dance Theatre all got their start at Kingsbury Hall.